Friday 2 May 2008

First Fridays


Today being the first Friday in May I have just celebrated a votive Mass of the Sacred Heart. I thought it might be helpful to explain a little about the Nine First Fridays Devotion to the Sacred Heart for those who are not familiar with this devotion. For those who wish to find out more, I refer you to the excellent site Catholic Culture. Here is a brief summary based on their description.

In apparitions to St Margaret Mary Alacoque, a 17th Century Visitation nun, Jesus promised through the mercy of his Divine Heart that all who receive Holy Communion on nine first Fridays of consecutive months would receive the grace of final repentance.

1 comment:

Idle Rambler said...

Thank you Fr Miceal for this item on the First Fridays. Not having been brought up a Catholic, I have great gaps in my knowledge especially concerning devotions such as this. Your explanation has been very helpful.